Title

Creation of Latino Exchange

Creator

Dr. Arturo Madrid

Publisher

Special Collections and Archives, Coates Library, Trinity University

Date

Rights

This item may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). It may only be used for noncommercial educational and scholarly purposes. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives at archives@trinity.edu to inquire about permission to use a specific digital resource.

Format

mp3

Language

English

Sound Item Type Metadata

Transcription

Its main objective was to celebrate Latino culture and the Latino experience. That was the expression but essentially also was to bring Latinos together. We were not exclusive. That was the difference, and as Professor [Abreu-Torres] will tell you, MAS comes out of that kind of mindset. That was not exclusive, it was inclusive, so you didn’t have to be, Latino, to be part of Latino Exchange, but they were interested and concerned on Latino issues. Probably the, the most visible, most visible expressions in a public sense, come out of the, an event, a celebration that my Antonia was responsible for. [00:41:33] She was still, let’s say I think, betwixt and between, she came, her first year, at the Institute for Texan Cultures, second year she went up to UT Austin, I think it was even before she ended up at Saint Mary’s. She said ‘So what are you going to do at Trinity University, about Latinos?’ I said: ‘Oh well, I’m going to teach,’ ‘But besides that?’ ‘Well I get together with my students’ ‘Well c’mon, something’ I said

Duration

1 minute and 7 seconds

Citation

Dr. Arturo Madrid, “Creation of Latino Exchange,” Omeka Site, accessed September 16, 2024, https://community.coateslibrary.com/items/show/373.

Output Formats